The new Labour Code provided for a new basis for dismissal of an employee – termination of the employment contract at the will of the employer by paying six months’ salary.
According to the interpretation of the Supreme Court of Lithuania, the following conditions must exist:
- the reason for dismissal must be real (based on facts);
- employers should not forget the importance of employee warning terms;
- the requirements for the termination of the employment contract must be complied with;
- the employer will have to prove the lawfulness of the dismissal;
- not every employer is entitled to this ground for dismissal.